[tattoos REMUS LUPIN DESERVED BETTER across my forehead]
i really wanna write an au fic in which remus lives?? and explore the aftermath of the war on everyone, and let remus and harry /finally/ have a real relationship, and explore/fill in the harry/ginny relationship, and see remus as a dad, and look at the affect that the war had on all of the teenagers and how they struggle to move on, and the same for remus, because it’s so different this time
idk i just. reeeeally want to see that stuff explored. and there’s not a fic that exists so like. i could write it. i’m halfway decent at fic. and writing fic really relaxes me, it’s a thing i do to chill out and cool off, it’s a good mechanism for me right now. and i’d like to get out of the marauders era, there’s only so many times i can play through the same stuff before i’m doing the same thing over and over again.
i’m Thinking about it
to a douchebag white boy with a heart of gold:
i’ve been around for a few of your birthdays ya know and Way Back i thought you were Too Cool to talk to; i do not remember exactly why i thought this, but i definitely did. i could tell you were damn smart (that’s still true) but somehow i contorted that into thinking you were like… A Lofty Intellectual, which is hilarious because you think farts are funny and you were intimidated by the grandpa in hufflepuff robes at leakycon.
it’s funny in a way but the not-funny part is that people do that to you a lot — make you into something besides Actual You in their minds. and that’s shitty.
because Actual Marygrace is goddamn awesome. you laugh really hard at farts and you unironically jam to wonderwall and you are bright and loud and hilarious and brave and you care so much. you are such a good friend and you have this rare quality in that you value friendship. you understand how important friendship is and you prioritize it and you make your friends feel loved and important in a way that not many people can do. what else could be expected from someone who is basically james potter?
you Get jesse pinkman and you Get emma swan and you Get holden caulfield; you Get so much because you have this amazing capacity for empathy, which is one of the highest compliments i can pay anyone.
this is getting long and gay but here’s the point:
i am very, very grateful that i know Actual Marygrace. i’m grateful that you’re always around, always supportive, always being unashamedly yourself, because if you haven’t noticed, i love you a lot.
and i wish you every good thing in the next year and beyond. i hope that you see guardians of the galaxy like eighty times, and i hope that the next season of once upon a time gives you all the joy in the world, and i hope that you find lots of cute dresses to wear. happy birthday mg. dftba.
[peace sign emoji]
i feel like this is something i shouldn’t be but
i am a sucker for a Big Gay Freakout
In the end, it’s not like they’ve picked out a china pattern or anything. They don’t hold hands and go for romantic walks in the woods. Sirius has yet to climb up on to Hogwarts’s roof and proclaim his love for Remus to the world.
But now there are whole days when he’d like to. [x]
im gonna die
sarah iangalager’s gigantic remus/sirius fic rec starter list
because there is a LOT of remus/sirius fic out there and some of it was probably written before some of you were born and it comes with all these acronyms and Dramatic Capital Letters and lots of people getting really worked up about rocks having urges or sirius watching dirty dancing. it’s easy to get lost. so here is a handy guide to the best fic in any possible era you could possibly want.
marauders era 1971-1978, mostly illogical nicknames, prank planning, detention, map-making, lots of gay panic.
- start with THE SHOEBOX PROJECT. then recognize that it isn’t the perfect fic and is nowhere near what people make it out to be but hold the first chapter with the letters in your heart forever. and where the fuck do you go after that? that’s what this list is for. are you or are you not hip to my jive?
- okay now that you have sbp out of your system, start here: The Shortest Distance Between Two People
GET TOGETHER and every possible permutation of it
- snogging in a bathroom: Very Bad Things
- Wednesday at their Heels
- every good rec list has a making-out-in-a-closet fic: Our Blood, Still Young
- drunken holidays waking up in bed together fic: the problem with eggnog, uncommon thoughts, and sharing a bed with sirius black
- a self explanatory one: being an historical record of events surrounding the unfortunate truth-or-dare game of february the twenty-second, and consequences thereof
- rock band au. sort of. close enough. So You Want to Transfigure Yourself a Rock Band
- more closet sex fic Boiling Point
- in which remus considers putting DIED OF SEX WITH SIRIUS BLACK on his tombstone: pair
- yet ANOTHER broomcupboard sex fic. i told you, its a thing: Necessary Supplies
- Unexpected Visits in the Wintertime
- THE ONLY AFTERMATH OF THE PRANK FIC I LIKE: Redeeming Time
PRANKS AND GENERAL NONSENSE
- remus is Supreme Overlord of All Things Prank: With Half the Flick and Twice the Magic
- step by step instructions on the fine art of pranking: Anatomy of a Prank
- Five Times Sirius Thought Remus Might Actually Kill Him, Possibly With The Power of His Mind (a.k.a., A Series of Sirius Mistakes, No Pun Actually Intended, Although Come To Think of It Moony That Would Have Been Quite Funny-)
- a prank involving singing underpants, naturally: For Whom the Pants Toll
- The Great Christmas Biscuit Misunderstanding of 1977
AND SOME MISCELLANY
- pining remus: when i’m wrong i’m right where i belong
- doin it: Slackened Ties
- library blowjobs because of course: there are angels in your angles
- Liars Leaving My House
- and the best/worst/most fucked up fic you’ll probably ever read (trigger warnings out the wazoo): le tourbillon
first war 1978-1981 everything is GREAT and then everything is TERRIBLE and everything is GREAT AND TERRIBLE AT THE SAME TIME.
POST HOGWARTS (happy/get together fic, there is no canon evidence that remus and sirius ever live in a flat together, leave it be)
- birthday gift buying fic: advice for the momentarily blinded
- The Merits of Toast
- the always necessary we-woke-up-in-bed-together-what-the-fuck trope: Logical Deduction
- Awakened in the Morning’s Hush
- How to Survive in the Wilderness (Without Soup)
- sirius saves xmas: Oscar Wilde Would Not Approve
- obligatory D/s fic with dog collar, because you were all wondering about it too: The Thing With the Collar
FIRST WAR (when things start getting bad and everything starts falling apart and you generally want to die)
- start here, and then never ever be happy again: in your bedroom, during the war
- the sequel to the one with the truth or dare from the previous section. tissues recommended: i see a darkness
- you want a series?: Levity (four fics)
- the fic that you think is going to be happy but then really really is not: Map of the Problematique
- Our Private Universe
- Combat Rock
- Wolf Like Me
- and some extremely sad smut written by yours truly: it is our crooked aim
AND SOME MISCELLANEOUS
- a necessary fic about a wedding a blowjobs, again in a closet: dumbstruck
- remus and sirius pick harry’s name for him: Registration
- a fic that somehow manages to be j/s, r/s and j/l all at once: Animalia
- bits and bobs: Monday’s Child
- sirius and lily switch bodies: In Curves, Not Angles
- i don’t know if you were looking for a remus/sirius/james/lily fic that features lily evans wearing a strapon, but here it is anyway: A Reversal of Expectations
lost years 1981-1993 that 12 year gap after james and lily’s death and before the prisoner of azkaban where everything and everyone is miserable and nothing is happy and all you do is listen to ‘get lonely’ by the mountain goats and cry into your pillow.
- start here: Fingerholds. never leave. never get over this fic. carry it around inside of you forever. be buried with it.
- in case you care at all about dumbledore/grindewald and remus/sirius parallels: World Without End
- Salvation in Three Parts
- remus right before the shrieking shack incident: the cartography of hope
- the events of the prisoner of azkaban from sirius’s point of view: a man too brave to follow history
- more sirius pov: motorways
lie low at lupin’s/ootp: summer 1994 ”Lie low at Lupin’s for a while, I will contact you there.” (Dumbledore, the Goblet of Fire pg. 713) the only thing in this entire book series that you should ever thank that manipulative bastard for. the period of time in between ‘gof’ and ‘ootp’ where sirius goes to stay with remus and there are a lot of awkward pauses, meaningful silences, and fucking.
LIE LOW AT LUPIN’S (cue hallelujah chorus, in fact you should just loop the hallelujah chorus or maybe ‘i will always love you’ as you read these fics)
- and gravity, scientists say, is weak
- before you read this one, take a moment to thank the universe for kate lupinely. okay, carry on: adagio
- the second coming
- The Hush of Waiting
- A Fearsome Business
- At the Water’s Edge
- do i respect you
- Sing My Heart
- nightswimming (deserves a quiet night)
- Muscles Better and Nerves More
- i really really love llal can you tell, i don’t even have anything clever to say
- pirates, just cause: The Scurvy, As Was Prophesized
- In Dreams
- the most important meal of the day
- probably the only fic on this list to feature snape doing anything that resembles usefullness: vast amount of bollocks
post ootp nothing really to say here. just cry.
- start here. then hit me in the face after: the metric weight of grief
- you say that i treat you like a book on a shelf
- Salvaged from the Fire
- ginny finds a portrait in the attic: Faded Laughter Against Her Ear
and one really long series: The Rising Storm
okay so you’ve gotten to the end and it fucking sucks, everyone is dead and worse than that everyone is presumed straight and some of them have children and harry has named his kid after snape and ITS ALL TERRIBLE. luckily there are an enormous pile of fics that ask pointed questions like what would have happened if nobody had died? what wife? what baby? why are you telling me that remus and sirius don’t live in a little house together and invite harry over for dinner once a week and have a lot of old man sex until they die? i don’t know what you mean.
- you’re mad at canon and you want an au where NOBODY FUCKING DIES AND THEY LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER?: ocean sound
- you’re mad at canon and you want an au where remus never stops trusting sirus? well, here you are: Bring Me a Boat
- you’re still mad at canon and you want an au where peter confesses before anyone dies? Truth and Consequences
- you’re still mad at canon and you want an au where sirius doesn’t go to jail and he meets remus again after 12 years in poa? Mischief Managed
- you’re mad at canon and you want an au where voldemort never rose to power at all? Golden Hours, Passing By
- you’re mad at canon and… you get it. okay. Five Ways It Could Have Ended (And One Way It Did)
- Scenes From Another Life
bring black back jk rowling: you do know that people can’t come back from the dead in the harry potter universe, right? I wrote that in there, you know that, right? me: IM SORRY WHAT I CANT HEAR YOU
- start here: knowing
- that the science of cartography is limited
- This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours
- Promised Eternity (A Ring of Eternal Light Remix)
- The Prodigal
- One Alone Looks Out
- And Death I think Is No Parenthesis
au’s the part you’ve probably been waiting for this entire damn time.
- start here: Long Live Living (If Living Can Be This). read this fic whenever you’re sad. or happy. or feel like watching gilmore girls. tattoo it on your face. learn that there is only one way to threaten your friends and that’s by shouting I WILL PUT YOUR HORRIBLE BODY BETWEEN MY TEETH AND I WILL EAT IT. i love this fic.
- the only uni au that you should care about: Ever After
- i’m sure you were looking for an au where two strangers meet on a train: The Northern Line
- a modern au that has a plotline revolving around text messages?: Text Talk
- an obligatory coffee shop au: Finest in Fairford
- and another one for good measure: Latte Art
- post-WWI au: Words Like Smoke
- another meeting-on-a-train fic there are a lot of these: The Moon’s Significant Tremble
- Great Depression au: Riding the Rails
- and an OCEANS 11 AU BECAUSE WHO DOESN’T WANT THAT? Three Card Monte
i wonder when sirius started falling in love with remus and i wonder when james noticed and i wonder when peter noticed
i feel like james noticed before like. anyone.